How to Choose a Good Albuquerque Landscape Contractor
We’ve all heard the horror stories of landscaping jobs gone bad. Avoid becoming a victim of an unscrupulous landscaper by learning what to look for. Below are several tips that can help you choose the right Albuquerque landscaper for your project:
- Get a list of references and contact several of them.
- Obtain addresses of places the landscaping company has provided services.
- Find out if the landscaping company offers guarantees for their work.
- Make sure the landscaping company will provide you with a signed contract.
- Ask if the landscaping company will provide you with a timeline for completion.
- Learn if any of the work will be sub-contracted out.
- Be wary of landscaping companies that ask for more than 50 percent of the cost of the project up front.
- Check if the landscaping company is licensed and insured.
Be sure to ask references about their satisfaction with the design and end result of their landscaping. Also, find out if references had a positive experience working with the landscaping company to achieve their desired outcome (i.e., Did the company complete work in a timely manner? Were the workers courteous and professional? Did the landscapers have good communication skills? Was the project completed within budget?)
Since you are entrusting the value and beauty of your home to a landscaper, it is important to make sure you are satisfied with the quality of their work. Be sure to check examples of their work for yourself.
If the plants installed by your Albuquerque landscaper die as soon as your project is completed or your retaining wall collapses within a year of its construction, will your landscaper make repairs and replacements for free? A good landscaping company should offer a limited warranty of their work.
A good landscaping company should provide you with a detailed contract that explains exactly what services you will be receiving and how much your project will cost. Watch out for small print and hidden fees before you sign any contracts.
A landscaping company should be able to complete your project within a reasonable amount of time for the size and scope of your project. If a landscaper cannot complete your work within a reasonable amount of time, they may be understaffed or too busy to truly take care of your needs.
It is not bad if your landscaper sub-contracts work out; however, it may cost you more than hiring a full-service landscaping company that can handle every aspect of your project.
Most landscaping companies will ask for a percentage of money up-front; this is the way business is done. However, it is unwise to part with a significant amount of money before any services are performed. Nefarious landscapers may take that money and run.
A company that is licensed and insured can give you the peace-of-mind that you’ve hired professionals who really know what they’re doing. Inexperienced or under-qualified landscapers can cause lasting damage to your property that is costly to fix. Additionally, if you hire a company that is not insured, you may be liable for any injuries sustained by workers on your property.
- You can find out if an Albuquerque landscape contractor is registered to do business in the city at http://cogpubbkp.cabq.gov/envhealth/search.asp.
- You can find out what licenses an Albuquerque landscape contractor holds at: http://public.psiexams.com/search.jsp. (You can find our licenses by searching “Lawn Rangers” or looking under our license number “90461”)
- You can find out if an Albuquerque landscape contractor has insurance by asking to see proof of insurance and then contacting the insurance company to make sure the landscaper’s policy is current and active.
Often times, landscaping companies that offer the cheapest prices do so by providing inferior service, products and workmanship. When you are seeking to add value to your home and increase the enjoyment you have of your property, look for a company that does not cut corners and offers a reasonable rate for the services you are seeking.
The Lawn Rangers, Inc. is a full-service landscaping and lawn care company that has been providing quality landscaping to the greater Albuquerque, Corrales and Rio Rancho area for over 15 years. We take great pride in bringing your landscaping dreams to life with creative designs and superior craftsmanship. That’s why we stand behind our work and offer a one-year warranty of any landscaping projects we complete.